Christmas break is fast approaching and we understand this is a stressful time of year for everyone. Please remember that if you need support, please contact your shop steward as we want everyone to enjoy these next two weeks at your school/site.
A heartfelt thank you to all the volunteers who generously gave their time to ensure our Children’s Christmas Party was a success. Many of our helpers worked months ahead of time preparing for this annual event as there is so much behind-the-scenes preparation.
Thanks to all those who helped with setup and take down; purchasing, wrapping and organizing presents; buying food, cooking and serving; setting up time slots for Santa’s visits via email with parents; photographing children with Santa and emailing the photos to parents; volunteering as our Santa; coordinating craft activities and helping the children make beautiful projects….wow…THANK YOU!
To all of you who emailed to volunteer at the party, unfortunately there was an issue when the emails were forwarded as the volunteer never received them. Sincere apologies for any confusion.
We had a few concerns from parents not wishing to fill out their email address to receive the Santa photos. They felt the volunteer should do that. Please note that the reason we ask for parents to fill out their name is so we have the correct spelling.
Congratulations to this year’s Table Officers and Shop Stewards who were all acclaimed again this year. We have added a Shop Steward for Aboriginal Advocates and we welcome Simone Gauthier as this year’s Shop Steward.
Please go to the tab “Contacts” to see the list of Executive. If you need to email your shop steward, please use the school district email at this time. We are having technical issues with our CUPE email addresses. We’ll update when it’s fixed.
If you phone the office, please speak slowly and clearly and repeat your name and number so we can call you back. If we haven’t returned your call in a timely fashion, please call us again or send an email. For example, we received a message which we all listened to but the person spoke so quietly that we couldn’t understand the message. Thank you.
Please note that the November 17, 2018 CUPE General Election Meeting will begin at 9:00, rather than 9:30, in Room 1, HRES.
The next Job Evaluation Training will take place February 4th and 5th, 2019 at Hollywood Road Education Services. To register, please email our office at: email@example.com. If you have any questions regarding the training, contact David Tether, President, at: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone the office at: 250.860.3523. Permission from your supervisor is also required.
CUPE Local 3523 will be hosting both a Spring 2019 and Fall 2019 3 day retirement planning seminars at Hollywood Road Education Services. If you are within 5 years of retiring and have not attended a retirement planning seminar in the past 5 years, you are welcome to register, providing you have permission from your supervisor. To register, email our office at: email@example.com
Spring Retirement Planning Seminar: May 30 – June 1, 2019
Fall Retirement Planning Seminar: November 14-16, 2019
Please click on the link to view the agenda for upcoming General Meeting on November 17th.
Attached is the poster and the registration form for the upcoming 12th annual CUPE Children’s Christmas Party at Hollywood Road on Saturday, December 1st. This is a free event for children/grandchildren (12 years and younger) of CUPE employees.
This event is limited to 200 children and is on a first come, first serve basis. Please note that the registration deadline is November 9th and please register by scanning and emailing the completed form to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read the following information from the PEBT website on long term benefits:
TERMINATION OF CORE LTD BENEFITS
Payment of Core LTD Benefits will cease on the earliest of:
1. The date on which the Member ceases to be Disabled;
2. The date on which the Member engages in any gainful occupation other than gainful occupation approved by the Administrator for the purpose of rehabilitation;
3. The date set by the Administrator on which the Member was required to provide satisfactory Proof of Disability or to undergo a medical examination requested by the Administrator, but neglected or refused to do so;
4. The date on which the Member is outside Canada for any period exceeding:
i. two (2) weeks during the Elimination Period and the following twenty-four (24) months of a period of Disability; or
ii. two (2) months thereafter; unless written approval is given by the Administrator in advance;
5. The date of expiration of the Maximum Benefit Period;
6. The date on which the Member refuses to participate in a Disability Management Program or a Rehabilitation Employment Program considered appropriate by the Administrator;
7. The date the Member dies;
8. The date the Member retires;
9. The date the Member commences to receive retirement benefits from the Municipal Pension Plan or from any other registered pension plan arising out of employment with an Employer;
10. The date the Member fails to comply with the provisions of Section (3)(I) in respect of a Third Party Claim or breaches any term of a Reimbursement Agreement entered into by the Member and the Board of Trustees pursuant thereto; and
11. The date the Member refuses to accept or follow in good faith the requirements of available Continuing Medical Care.
12. The date the Member is no longer lawfully entitled to be in Canada for the purpose of employment for any reason including the expiration of any permit or visa or an outstanding deportation order.
TERMINATION OF A MEMBER’S COVERAGE
A Member, who is not receiving Core LTD Benefits under the Core LTD Program, shall cease to be entitled to coverage for Core LTD Benefits under the Core LTD Program on the earliest of the following dates:
1. One hundred twenty days prior to the last day of the month during which the Member attains the age of sixty-five (65) years;
2. The date the Member no longer meets the definition of Member;
3. The thirty-second (32nd) day of an unpaid leave of absence;
4. The date the Member temporarily occupies a position that is not eligible for coverage in accordance with the definition of Member in Section 1(A)
5. The date of the Member’s termination of service; and
6. One hundred twenty days prior to the last day of the month during which the Member attains thirty-five (35) years of pensionable service and a minimum age of fifty-five (55) pursuant to the terms of the Municipal Pension Plan or other school district pension arrangement.
TERMINATION OF THE CORE LTD PROGRAM
The Core LTD Program may be wound-up in accordance with the Trust Agreement.
The normal Waiting Period will be waived for the following Members:
1. A newly appointed member with prior LTD coverage in a different employee group in the same School District.
2. A Member whose decreased hours of work as a regular employee within the preceding six (6) months have made him ineligible for coverage.
3. A Member appointed to the bargaining unit by the Labour Relations Board who had prior LTD coverage in a different employee group within the School District.
4. A laid off Member who is recalled or rehired by the School District within six (6) calendar months of the date of lay off.
Notice of Motion for the October 13th General Meeting: To increase the number of bursaries from three to six and to increase the amounts from $750 to $1000 each.
Please click on the CUPE General Meetings tab to view the agenda for October 13th.
Beginning last July 1, 2018 the In-service and Pro-D funding requirements for reimbursements changed as per the information on our website. This information, as well as Applications for Reimbursements, are available to download. This information is located under the tab “Resources”.
The following CUPE General Meetings, with the exception of the November Election Meeting, are held Saturdays in Room 2 at Hollywood Road Education Services starting at 9:30 a.m.
September 22, 2018
October 13, 2018
January 19, 2019
February 9, 2019
March 9, 2019
April 13, 2019
May 25, 2019
June 15, 2019
The CUPE General Election Meeting will be on November 17, 2018 in Room 1, Hollywood Road Education Services starting at 9:00 a.m.